Friday, October 28, 2011

miss independence. journalism edition. #comms239

Learning about Independence in journalism was very interesting. And that video we watched about diversity was hilarious. But anyway...

  • An important point that was made is that your past does not define you. I found it interesting that we can be independent, even from our pasts. Along with that, it was good to learn that we can still have opinions. In fact, we need opinions so we can "remain independent from those we cover."
  • Going along with that... Journalism and Journalists are two different things. Journalism is a profession. A Journalist is a regular human being with feelings and opinions. Just like a doctor, who operates on the job, but is not operating 24/7... When a Journalist is on a job, they should be doing their job 100%. But when they are not at work, they can and should have their own lives.
  • I found it interesting and fitting that we discussed whether or not journalists should have their own blogs... I have decided that they should not. I think that is a touchy subject that should be open for debate, but once I am hired, I think I'll probably delete my blog or make it private. While we discussed this in class, what I was thinking, is that, if the public is aware of your opinion they will always associate you with that. If you blog about how much you love Mitt Romney and are going to vote for him, then no one that reads your blog AND watches you on the news will be able to take your seriously when you "impartially" are reporting on air. 
here's a link to a cool word we learned in class: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fealty 
much love--Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment