And here are the parts I found especially important/the things I have to say about it:
- " Americans rely on television more than ANY OTHER MEDIUM" Yeah. That's what everybody assumes. And studies have showed that, that statement is true... but only narrowly true.
- Don’t count out newspapers, radios, or web sites. Views are distributed more equally than most think.
- People rely on TV for Weather, Traffic, Breaking News... This makes enough sense. You can switch on your TV and get this info instantly instead of searching for it on the internet or in the newspaper (which, let's be honest, wouldn't take much longer, but this is understandable enough).
- People rely on the News and Web for 11 other sources of news like crime... Because let's be honest. People are suckers for a happy story. If they want bad news, they're going to make the effort to seek it out. (Can you sense my tad bit of sarcasm? Partially serious. Partially not).
- There were no surprises when I read that Twitter and word of mouth were the second most common form of passing news along. That's the first common for me. I get 90 % of my news from Twitter, then talk to people about it throughout the day. Every day. Do you guys feel like I advocate Twitter every blog post now? I do.
- “There really is a nuanced ecosystem here with very old and very new sources blending,” said Tom Rosenstiel. Great point Tom. In my opinion, news is not so much in with the new, out with the old.. It's in with the new.. keep the good parts of the old. And that's how it should be! I love the newspaper. But I'll get to that in a few points.
- Encouraging and discouraging results from study for newspaper and TV… Ummm... I'm gonna take that as a good sign. If there are good things and bad things about both, then let's keep both around, yeah? Nothing's perfect! Obviously there are going to be encouraging and discouraging results from both. Hm.
- 71 percent of 2251 adults watch the news once a week. That's a pretty dang good amount!
- Soft news attracts younger viewers. This statement is not surprising. I agree with it. I have enough to worry about without sitting down and hearing about 10 murders that were committed today. I need some stories about soft, fluffy kitties to soften that hard news. My peers obviously agree. Our generation likes to be happy and carefree :)
- 50 percent of the survey read the paper and the internet.. 69 percent say death of newspaper would affect them somehow.It would affect me! I love the newspaper. I love it. I know I'm a Twitter junkie. But I equally love sitting in my chair at work and reading the front page of the New York Times. It's more than just a fantastic way of getting information--It's the ambiance! I'd be so sad if the newspaper died. Call me old fashioned, go ahead.
- Is information a commodity? It absolutely is not! Reporters go out and work hard so the public can get their information! INFORMATION IS NOT A COMMODITY.
- “If television has focused on covering weather, traffic, and breaking news, and that is what people look to this platform for, will television begin to cover taxes and zoning and education if the local newspaper no longer exists?” Excellent quote. All mediums are necessary.
- Stats at the end—the public has a bad view of the news… Why don’t they have faith in us? I think the public needs a scapegoat. And they use journalists. Which is not cool. I did not like the stats at the end of the article. I dare the public to go a week without journalists. They'd have no information! They'd want us back in a heart beat.
In summation.. This article was very interesting and encouraging to me. It made me feel like newspaper is going to stay around, which I hope it does. It made me realize how much I appreciate reporters. Annnd. That's pretty much all I have to say. K cool.


No comments:
Post a Comment