- An important point made in the presentation and from Professor Campbell were attitudes vs. beliefs. BELIEFS are convictions about whether something is true or false and ATTITUDES are predispositions to respond one way or the other. I think the key to that is that attitudes are predisposed and beliefs, you come to on your own. And the most important thing is that attitudes and beliefs lead to VALUES which are enduring beliefs about good and bad, which keep you honest. And journalists definitely need to be kept honest. It is imperative to have solid, indisputable, morally sound beliefs, attitudes, and values. Some good ones can be found in the SPJ Code of Ethics, which we talked about during class.
- Confidentiality was a really cool discussion that we had. It was hard because when the class split in 2 I had to be on the side I disagreed with. I think that journalists should absolutely be able to publish confidential information. People should feel free to talk to the press without getting arrested. Like the example in class, those involved in drug cartel would never be able to give information if it were not kept confidential. I think that anonymity makes news legit. I hope that SPJ's bill gets passed.
- The last thing I want to talk about, which was the first thing talked about in class is The Priesthood of Journalists. I think it's funny that it's called that but anyway.. Hegemony theory: directed at what journalist believe and comprising the social, cultural, and ideological beliefs of journalist. And News work: directed at what journalists learn and experience on the job. These remind me of attitudes and beliefs.. they are a pair. The priesthood is also a pair. What you believe expands with what you experience. :)
love this picture shown in class 



No comments:
Post a Comment