Wednesday, November 9, 2011

absent, but still a watchdog #comms239

So since I wasn't there my friend was kind enough to grab me a handout and I'm just gonna go over three things on the handout that struck me. I'm sure group 8 did a great job and I'm bummed I missed the presentation :(

- I love that with every group we revisit objectivity. Objectivity is clearly a core principle of journalism. And I can DEFINITELY see how it is necessary for watchdog journalism. I would not want someone biased watching out for me. I would not want someone giving me lopsided information. So we, as journalists, with our responsibility to be the fourth estate and watchdogs, must be objective. We must present all sides of the story so that we can be watchdogs with integrity.

-Journalists and Politics also stuck out to me. Especially the "Catch the Bigger Fish" part. I think that is a very real bias in news, and not necessarily a bad one.. But a real one. We want ratings, we want viewers, and we're under the impression that viewers want the biggest possible story. But I don't think that by any means, means that we should only present the huge stories. That would also detract from our integrity and watchdogs. It makes me think of a friend... A superficial friend... That only cares about your life when you have huge drama going on in it. A true friend (and a true watchdog) cares about the little details.

-Thirdly, I, as a journalist, hope to dispute the quote on the handout, "Journalism is turning wachdogism, into a form of amusement." Watchdogism is NOT a form of amusement. It is our duty to the public. I want to be an anchor on Sportscenter, and when I am, I will present any and all information... Not just the huge deals.. Not just the stories that are amusing to me. As a sports enthusiast I know how important it is to get ALL of your sports news, and I will definitely practice watchdog journalism and deliver that.

No comments:

Post a Comment