Wednesday, September 21, 2011

i'm getting really into this #comms239

I've never really cared much about politics. I want to report sports, and that's all. But lately I've been caring about politics! My favorite article in the NY Times all week was this one about Rick Perry and his small town roots. There was just something about the way the piece was written that got to me. And then there was this hilarious article about Mitt Romney and whether or not he is "Mormon enough" to be a good President. What the? Haha. I love it. There are so many good articles coming out about these candidates already, I can't wait till the election draws even closer. I'm definitely registering to vote. Like after I finish this blog post. K. We're counting that as the first thing I loved about class this week. It's totally applicant because if I weren't assigned to read the paper for 239, then I would not have discovered my passion for political news articles. 

Second, I loved the Dove Chocolate I got for participating in class. Haha. Jk. I mean, I did love that, but we'll go a little deeper. :) The thing that hit me hardest from class Tuesday was, "The community loses their power when they lose their voice." I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I love the way this statement was presented in the funny video/song, but it's so true. We can't let "Cornelius Fudge" or anyone make our choice. The community needs a voice and journalism is imperative to that. Journalism IS the community's voice--the fourth estate. 

The third thing that stuck out to me in class on Tuesday is kind of obscure--but it is what it is. Professor Campbell shared the simple fact that a couple years ago, no one would really care what was going in Malaysia because it was harder to get news from overseas, and by the time we got it, it was hardly relevant. It just struck me how much that has changed. International news has become so prevalent and so easy to get a hold of. The chief of peace council in Afghanistan was killed yesterday and I read about it in the times today. And I feel like it affects me. I care about it, and because of that information, I'm able to form my own political opinions--and to keep the people of Afghanistan in my prayers. Globalization is happening every second in the news--more and more every day. 

Also I just really wanted to repost this video because I thought it was hilarious and completely accurate. Thanks to whoever shared it. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment